Porsche Junior Sven Müller (D/Konrad Motorsport) has won race three of the Porsche Carrera Cup Deutschland. On the Hockenheimring Baden-Württemberg the 24 year old from Germany seized the lead with his 460 hp Porsche 911 GT3 Cup and refused to relinquish it to the flag. Finishing in second and third were Christian Engelhart (D/MRS GT-Racing) and Jeffrey Schmidt (CH/Team Lechner Huber Racing). “That was one of the most exciting races I’ve ever driven. I got away superbly at the start because, unlike at other races, we were started with a flag. The drivers behind me were on fresh tyres so I knew I would have quite a job to fend them off. My third victory in a row. I’m very pleased,” said Müller.
Polesitter Engelhart appeared a little disconcerted when the flag suddenly came out to start the race instead of the usual lights. Müller used the situation to get past the MRS pilot and snatch the lead in the first corner. But Engelhart gathered his wits and caught Müller to put him under pressure from the fifth lap. Schmidt in third made the most of their dual and made up ground to Engelhart. In lap nine, the Swiss pilot briefly got past Engelhart but the Hockenheim specialist from Germany immediately made a countermove and reclaimed position two. “The start proved decisive. The lights didn’t work and I reacted too late. Afterwards I tried to get past Sven a couple of times but it didn’t work,” explained Engelhart.
On the 4.574-kilometre racetrack, Müller, Engelhart and Schmidt eked out an advantage and later on the podium the three were handed their trophies by Board Member for Production and Logistics Albrecht Reimold. Behind the top three were Luca Rettenbacher (A/Konrad Motorsport) as the best rookie on fourth, followed by the Australian Nick Foster (KÜS Team75 Bernhard) in fifth. The Irishman Ryan Cullen (Konrad Motorsport) crossed the finish line in sixth.
The vehicle driven by Porsche Junior Dennis Olsen (N/Team Lechner Huber Racing) was forced into a spin after contact with another driver. “I felt the shunt but was able to correct the car after the spin. Then I was hit from behind and the suspension broke. I had to park my car in the pits,” said Olsen. In the overall classification, Müller leads after three races with 60 points ahead of Engelhart (45) and Olsen (40).
Result race 3:
1. Sven Müller (D/Konrad Motorsport)
2. Christian Engelhart (D/MRS GT-Racing)
3. Jeffrey Schmidt (CH/Team Lechner Huber Racing)
4. Luca Rettenbacher (A/Konrad Motorsport)
5. Nick Foster (AUS/KÜS Team75 Bernhard)
6. Ryan Cullen (GB/Konrad Motorsport)
7. Nicholas Yelloly (GB/Rookie Team Deutsche Post by Project 1)
8. David Kolkmann (D/Rookie Team Deutsche Post by Project 1)
9. Wolfgang Triller (D/Team Huber Lechner Racing)
10. Marek Böckmann (D/KÜS Team75 Bernhard)
11. Ricardo Flores Ramirez (PE/MRS GT-Racing)
12. Dennis Olsen (NOR/Team Lechner Huber Racing)
DNS: Wolf Nathan (NL/Team Huber Lechner Racing)
Points’ standings after 3 of 16 races:
1. Sven Müller (D/Konrad Motorsport), 60 points
2. Christian Engelhart (D/MRS GT-Racing), 45
3. Dennis Olsen (NOR/Team Lechner Huber Racing), 40
1. Wolfgang Triller (D/Team Huber Lechner Racing), 60 points
2. Ricardo Flores Ramirez (PE/MRS GT-Racing), 36
3. Wolf Nathan (NL/Team Huber Lechner Racing), 16